The current position: Home > Extension >
GOTS Standard---Global Organic Textile Certificate Standard(Time:2010-03-23 17:31:00)
GOTS is a project of the International Working Group, who developed these consensus-based standards over many years of discussion and deliberation. The aim of the standard is to define requirements to ensure organic status of textile, from harvesting of the raw materials, through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing up to labeling in order to provide a credible assurance to the end consumer. The standards work to expand the potential organic supply chain and further developing global organic fiber and textile infrastructure.
Aim of the standards
The aim of the standard is to define requirements to ensure organic status of textiles, from harvesting of the raw materials, through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing up to labelling in order to provide a credible assurance to the end consumer.
Scope and structure
This standard for organic textiles covers the production, processing, manufacturing, packaging, labelling, exportation, importation and distribution of all natural fibres. The final products may include, but are not limited to fibre products, yarns, fabrics and clothes.
The standards focus on compulsory criteria only.
Final products that are produced and manufactured in compliance with all compulsory criteria of these standards are to be labelled "Global Organic Textile Standard"
Further the standards provide for a subdivision into two label-grades.
a) "organic" or "organic - in conversion"
95% or more of the fibres must be of certified organic (or in conversion) origin. The remaining balance up to 5% may be made of non-organic fibres including defined regenerated and synthetic fibres. Blending (= mixing the same fibre in organic and conventional quality in one product) is not permitted.
b) "made with x % organic materials" or " made with x % organic - in conversion materials"
70% - 95% or more of the fibres must be of certified organic (or in conversion) origin. The remaining balance up to 30% may be made of non-organic fibres. Regenerated and synthetic fibres are limited to 10% (resp. 25% in the US). Again blending is not permitted.
IMO is the first certification body approved by the International Working Group on GOTS for certification of this new standard. We can draw back upon many years of experience in ecological and social quality assurance along the whole textile production chain world-wide. Besides, IMO was significantly involved in developing the Global Organic Textile Standard. Currently IMO is already working with some of the largest textile processing and manufacturing groups on initial GOTS certification and has been approved by the world's largest retailer Wal-Mart and by Sam's Club as certifier for their 'Organic Cotton Program'.
IMO is also offering verification of appropriate dyes and auxiliary agents to be used for textile pre-treatment, dyeing / printing and finishing to the chemical suppliers. Respective approved positive lists for GOTS are available for our clients on request.